Taste Me Tuesdays

October 04, 2011

So for today's Taste Me Tuesday I thought I would share something a little different. Living in Alaska hunting and fishing is a very popular pastime and freezers are pretty well stocked here with all kinds of fresh game and seafood. In fact we had to buy a deep freezer for our garage because our neighbor kept supplying us with halibut, salmon, and cod, and just recently we received some bear, caribou, and moose meat. Yum! Since moose meat is not all that common in the lower 48 states I thought I would share what is a very delicious meat with you. That's right you heard me, it's delicious! We received some ground moose and it looks and tastes very similar to ground beef only much better! I am not kidding. Moose is high in protein and low in fat and tastes like really really really good beef, not game-y at all. The first time I had moose meat was several years ago in Anchorage when a friend of Chris' invited us over for a spaghetti dinner. I must say I was not very excited as I am not a big spaghetti fan but let me tell you this was the best spaghetti I have ever had and guess what it was made out of moose! So tonight when I was deciding what to make with our ground moose I decided to try something similar to my first moose meal encounter and I made some moose baked ziti. SOOO GOOD!!!

Baked Ziti made with Moose Meat

1lb. Ziti Cooked
1 lb. Ground Moose (you can use beef or turkey)
1 8oz Container of Sour Cream
1 and 1/2 Jars of Marinara Sauce
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Onion Powder
Garlic Salt
Italian Seasoning

Put cooked ziti in a large casserole dish and stir in the container of sour cream. Meanwhile brown meat and season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning.  Once cooked drain any liquid and add 1 jar of Marinara sauce to it. Add the remaining 1/2 jar of sauce to the pasta in the casserole dish along with a large handful of mozzarella and some grated Parmesan and mix. Then add the meat and another handful of mozzarella and mix again. Top pasta with some Parmesan and another large handful of mozzarella and then cover and bake for 30 minutes at 375. Remove cover and continue to bake for another 10 minutes. Serve with warm crusty bread and a green salad.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I've never had moose meat before but it sounds like something I need to try!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Someone's reading this. Please leave me a comment. Thanks!