Crispy Chicken Spring Rolls

June 22, 2016

A few weeks ago I purchased spring roll wrappers to make fresh shrimp spring rolls.


I had so many wrappers left over and I was over my desire for fresh spring rolls so I thought maybe I could fry these instead. Not sure if it was possible I did some research online and sure enough, yes, these can also be rehydrated and fried. Nice! So here are some Crispy Chicken Spring Rolls I made.


While not very pretty, they were pretty tasty so here's my recipe.

Crispy Chicken Spring Rolls

I had a little less then a pound of ground chicken.
1/4 cup of chopped green onion
2 Cloves of garlic minced
1 Carrot shredded
1 tbs. Hoisin sauce
Powdered ginger
Five spice powder, a mixture of five spices used in Asian cooking. You can buy a five spice powder that contains all five spices already or if you are feeling daring you can make your own using star anise, cloves, cinnamon, Sichuan pepper and fennel seeds.
Salt & Pepper

In a pan cook the ground chicken along with the onion, garlic and carrots. Season with the remaining ingredients to taste. Cook until the chicken is completely done. Fill a large enough bowl for the wrappers to fit into it with water and a teeny amount of sugar. Take a wrapper and dip it into the water rehydrating it for about 15 seconds until it becomes pliable again. Place on wax paper. Fill the center of each wrapper with the chicken filling and then start by folding over the top side of the wrapper then folding in both left and right sides and then rolling it up into a little burrito. Does that make sense? I didn't think so... here I found this online. Once you roll up all your spring rolls, by the way I was able to make about 10 of these guys but I stuffed them pretty good, cover them with a paper towel and press down a little to soak up some of the moisture. You want to make these ahead of time so they dry out a bit before you fry them. Once they are ready to fry up heat some oil in a pan until hot and then drop your spring rolls in making sure that you only fry a few at a time. Don't let them touch as they will start to stick together if they do. Remove once these are brown and crisp and place on a paper towel to soak up some of the cooking oil. I served these with a dipping sauce.

Soy Sauce
Rice wine vinegar
Chili garlic sauce
Honey

I just combined a little of these ingredients in a bowl until it tasted good.


This is the chili garlic sauce I used.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Yay! Someone's reading this. Please leave me a comment. Thanks!