Just Like Mom Used to Make

March 02, 2012


Looks appetizing right? Really, it taste better then it looks. My mom use to make Creamed Beef on Toast (or known to some as S*** on a Shingle) when we were kids. Her dad who was a cook in the Navy use to make it for her. It's one of those meals that you don't have for years and then one day out of the blue you get this strong craving for. That's exactly what happened the other day and so Penelope got her first taste of this family tradition and guess what, she loved it!

Creamed Beef

Jar of Dried Beef
Flour
Butter
Can of Evaporated Milk
Pepper

Take your dried beef and soak in water as it is extremely salty. We tend to like salt in this household so I only soak it a bit. Chop the beef up into small squares and set aside. In a pan melt some butter, about 3 tablespoons and then add some flour, about 1 heaping tablespoon to make a roux. Use a whisk to stir until bubbly and then add the can of evaporated milk. Stir to a boil and then lower heat and add the beef and sprinkle with pepper. If the sauce is too thick you can add some regular milk to thin it out. Pour this addicting sauce over buttered toast. White bread is the best, we only had sourdough. Sourdough is the second best. My grandpa and my mom use to serve this with these killer oven potatoes that were baked with bacon and onions. Unfortunately the bagger at the grocery store forgot to put my potatoes in my cart and I didn't realize until hours later. I was so annoyed I didn't want to bother going back to the grocery store. I was so annoyed that I almost didn't make dinner, but I had to feed my craving. If you have never tried Creamed Beef on Toast now is the day.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Yay! Someone's reading this. Please leave me a comment. Thanks!