What's For Lunch?

December 02, 2009

Several years ago I became really fascinated with the Japanese bento lunch. Especially those made by Japanese moms for their children to take to school. Wow, these ladies do get creative... just type in obento or Kyaraben in google and you will see what I mean. Anyway my fascination went from gawking at the different photos online to purchasing cute bento boxes with the intent to create my own fabulous lunches. Needless to say I used a couple of my boxes to carry my lunch to work one or two times, but my cookie cutter sandwiches and star shaped rice molds did not impress my fellow coworkers. I decided to store them away for a time when I could make cute lunch's for my future little girl that would become the envy of all her classmates. Fast forward I have my little girl but she is still too young to impress her friends with cheese shaped flowers and octopus weenies. (That's right Chris I said weenies, that's what my mom called them and that's what Penelope will know them as.) People, do they or do they not only become a hotdog when you put them in a bun? Anyway, rather then just letting my bento's collect dust for the next couple of years I decided I would start to use them for Penelope's lunch now and share with you what's in her tummy.

Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole and Fruit Cocktail

I know it's not nearly as creative as things I have seen in books and on the web but it's a start. The casserole was leftovers from last nights dinner. Here's the recipe if your interested...

2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
Frozen Broccoli Florets
1 Cup of Rice
1 Can of Chicken Broth
1/2 Cup of Milk
1 Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Breadcrumbs
Butter
Minced Onion
Garlic Powder
Cajun Seasoning
S&P

Cook the rice as you normally would but substitute water for the chicken broth. While the rice is cooking dice the chicken and saute in some olive oil with minced onion, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Once the chicken is no longer pink add the soup and milk and as much broccoli as you like and stir, lower heat and keep warm. Heat your oven to 400 degrees and butter a 9X13 baking dish. Once the rice is cooked add it to the baking dish and pour the chicken soup mixture on top and add the Cajun seasoning and a little more salt and pepper. Mix well so the rice is completely wet and then spread evenly. Cover the top with as much shredded cheddar cheese as you like. Finally in a small bowl melt about 1/2 a stick of butter and add breadcrumbs and mix until it becomes a nice crumbly texture. Sprinkle on top of the cheese and bake casserole for 25 minutes. It's really good!
One more thing, stay tuned for my very first giveaway courtesy of MyBlogSpark!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Do you order your lemonade from weenie on a stick or Hot Dog on a stick?

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Someone's reading this. Please leave me a comment. Thanks!