Sushi!!!

February 23, 2011

Penelope helped me make lunch today and it was yummy. We made sushi! Here she is making sushi for the first time (it was only my third). I prepared the sushi rice in my rice cooker and then put it on a bamboo cutting board. Traditionally you would use a sushi-oke which is a special bin used for mixing sushi rice. They are made of wood since wood helps to absorb any excess moisture in the rice, any wooden bowl will do though. I didn't have either so I made do with my bamboo cutting board. I let the rice sit for a bit to cool off and then I made the rice vinegar concoction to add into the rice. I used 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt for one cup of rice. You can double the amounts depending on how much rice you are making. Typically it's 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar per cup of rice. You put this in a sauce pan and bring to a boil and then lower heat until sugar is dissolved. I slowly poured this onto the rice and gently mixed it in with a rice paddle while Penelope cooled it down with a makeshift cloth fan.

Then she prepared our kid friendly filling of tuna and mayo and set it aside in the fridge to cool.

Here she is spreading the rice onto a piece of nori that is on top of a Makisu (bamboo rolling mat).

Then she put our filling in the center of the rice.

Here is where I stepped in to make the Maki. Again, I will say this is only my third time making sushi so I don't claim to be an expert sushi roller, in fact I pretty much suck at it. Not to mention Penelope put way too much rice on the nori so it was squeezing out the sides. Yes, I am blaming her and my knives which are the dullest knives on the planet. I seriously need to invest in a good set of knives. Anyway, here is our finished product. It tasted a lot better then it looks the rice had the perfect amount of seasoning. It might not look like sushi chef quality sushi but I still think this three year and I did a darn good job. :)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Looks yummy!! i want to try this.
    thanks for sharing your wonderful
    story..

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Someone's reading this. Please leave me a comment. Thanks!