Was gibt's zum Abendessen?

November 24, 2009

Tonight I made a German meal for dinner! I took some pork chops out of the freezer to thaw and decided to try making something different with them instead of just plain ol' pan fried chops. While thinking about what I was going to make I remembered our trip down from Alaska. We stopped at a German restaurant while we were driving through Canada and Chris had ordered Pork Schnitzel and Spaetzel. I remember we both thought it was really tasty . I looked up a recipe for Spaetzle and found this one on Food Networks website. Spaetzle is a type of egg noodle/dumpling. It was really fun to make from scratch. Making the dough and then pressing it through a slotted spoon into hot water and watching it become something edible. It was messy though and half way through I broke my slotted spoon and had to improvise with a butter knife. My spoon was plastic okay! Unfortunately I do not have a well stocked kitchen which is a pity because I love to cook. Maybe I will ask Santa for some kitchen tools. The Schnitzel was my recipe I came up with on the fly. The chops I had were bone-in so I had to trim all the bone off then I flattened the pork cutlets as thin as I could with the bottom of a measuring cup "Dear Santa, please give me a meat pounder for Christmas." I then dipped the cutlets in a mixture of flour and season salt. Then they were dipped in a mixture of egg and milk and finally breadcrumbs. I sprinkled some Paprika on the cutlets and fried in olive oil. I made a sour cream sauce with chicken broth, sour cream and a little dill pickle juice to pour over the top of the Schnitzel. Everything came out really good. Penelope even had seconds!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Yay! Someone's reading this. Please leave me a comment. Thanks!