Birthday cobbler anyone?

August 15, 2009

Since I am not a native of the pacific northwest I was very surprised when Chris told me we had blackberries growing in the woods behind our backyard. Apparently the plants grow wild here and during the summer months are covered with ripe, sweet berries. The rest of the year it is considered a nuisance plant by many. I thought I would take advantage of this yummy weed and sent Regan out to pick me some berries. He was more then happy to do this after I promised to make him a blackberry cobbler. Here is his loot...













and here is the cobbler I promised him...
It was my first blackberry cobbler so I had to call my mom in law to ask for a recipe. When we were staying with them I remember she had made a yummy one. It was really easy...You melt 1 cup of butter in a 9X13 baking dish. While it is melting in a 350 oven you mix 2 cups of flour, 2 cups of sugar, 3 tbl of baking powder, 1 tsp of salt and 1 1/2 cups of milk. Pour the mixture over the melted butter and then pour 1 1/2 pints of blackberries on top of that. Chris and Regan were complaining that I needed to sugar the berries or they wouldn't be sweet enough and after arguing with them about it for a few minutes I finally gave in and sugared the berries. Apparently 2 cups of sugar is not sweet enough! You bake it in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes or until it is browned and the batter is cooked through. My cobbler cooked for about an hour and I had to hear "is it done yet?" for an extra 15 minutes. Penelope loved eating the fresh berries but unfortunately her tummy didn't and we had a bad night last night.

By the way today is my birthday!!! I told Chris not to get me anything but Penelope and him are downstairs wrapping my presents. He is also taking me out for a birthday lunch. Yum!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Yay! Someone's reading this. Please leave me a comment. Thanks!