Wildlife

December 06, 2010

There is a large population of Bald Eagles in Homer, Alaska. One of the reasons is the abundance of salmon in the area another reason is a lady named Jean Keene. Jean Keene fed the wild Bald Eagles that visited every year between the months of December and April on the Homer Spit, between 200 to 300 Bald Eagles daily for several years! Since she worked at a seafood plant she had access to surplus fish to feed the birds. Jean Keene, the "Eagle Lady" died on January 13, 2009 and even though it is now illegal to feed the wild birds in the area you can still see many of these majestic birds soaring in the sky and often times perching on the tops of tall trees all over Homer. We drove out to our local dump today and their were about 8 to 10 large birds just hanging out. I tried get some good pictures but Chris felt kind of weird snapping shots at the dump. Here are a couple of photos I took of the birds on two different trees. They are awesome to look at.


And on another note...I think I am being stalked by wild animals. First the bear, then the other night I was on my computer and I looked out the same exact window I saw the bear through and there was a round face looking back at me. AAAHHH! It looked like a large cat  maybe a mountain lion? There have been several alleged sightings of them in the area. From what I have read a Lynx is more likely since they are native to Alaska. Either way it frightened me to see some wild critter trying to find a way out of the cold via our office window. I ran upstairs to let Chris know about the peeping tom but by the time he looked out the window it was gone. I think Chris is going to start thinking I am imagining these animal visits, really I am  not!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Yay! Someone's reading this. Please leave me a comment. Thanks!