The End of the Road...

October 19, 2010


So I thought I would share a little information about our new home. It's right there on the map between Kodiak Island and Anchorage. This map doesn't show all the places in Alaska but it was one of the only maps I could find where Homer was easily visible. Homer is located on the Kenai Peninsula on the shore of Kachemak Bay. It's most distinguishing feature is the Homer Spit, a narrow 4.5 mile gravel (correction road is paved)road that extends into the bay. According to the most recent population census, the population of Homer is 4,137. It is the southernmost town on the Alaska Highway. It got it's first traffic light in 2005!  About a 4 hour drive to the big city of Anchorage and 1 hour and 20 minutes to Fred Meyer in Soldotna. :) Shopping is pretty much local run business with one Safeway grocery store and no malls. Their are several restaurants but only 2 fast food chains, McDonald's and Subway. From what I have read Homer has a very active outdoor lifestyle in the summer months but slows down during the winter. It's the place to go if you like to fish, especially halibut and salmon. The temperatures average at 53 degrees in July and August for the high and 22 degrees for the low in January. Snowfall averages at 13 inches in December with July and August having 0 inches of snow. Compared to some other places in Alaska the weather is pretty mild. June 18-22 are the longest days of sunlight with the sun being out about 19 hours while Dec 19-22 are the days with the shortest daylight around 6 hours.

Of course all this information is just what I have gathered while doing my own research. I might be totally off so if anyone reading this is a native to Homer please feel free to correct me and once we get there I will try to give you some more accurate information. Sooo excited!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Yay! Someone's reading this. Please leave me a comment. Thanks!