Sew Fun!

October 12, 2016

When I was a little girl in elementary school my grandmother used to sew me the greatest outfits. They were always in style, I mean she even made me a tube skirt and fluorescent lace top, I rocked the 80's! I even remember someone saying that my family had a lot of money because I was always wearing fancy clothes, which was so far from the truth. I just had the best grandma. When I became a teenager my grandma shared her love of sewing with me and taught me the craft. I made pants, tops, mini dresses, you name it. Unfortunately, I very rarely sew these days, my fault. However over the summer Penelope took a week long sewing camp at Moore's Sewing Center so it's time I dust off my machine and so we can start sewing! When I first signed her up I wasn't sure if she was going to enjoy it, I was also concerned that it might be a little to difficult for her to learn at 8. I was so wrong! In fact one of the amazing ladies that taught the class told me that they had taught their grandchild to sew at five years old!



This was Penelope on the first day of class with her new machine, that she got to take home by the way. 


A Limited Edition Project Runway machine with a ton of stitches and much nicer then my machine. The class was a week long class, 5 hours a day. Surely this was going to be too much sewing for Penelope and she would get tired of it. I was wrong! She loved it and never wanted to leave. 


Here she is sewing away when I popped into to check on her, what a pro! At the end of the week there was a graduation and ice cream party and the kids in the class got to show off their creations. 



Penelope learned to make a backpack, pillow case, pajama pants and a roll-up bag traveling bag. It's too bad Moore's only offers this class once in the summer, Penelope was sad for it to be over. Still in that one week she learned so much. I will definitely be encouraging her to keep at it, in fact she has already picked out a pattern for her first homemade dress, now the fun part, fabric shopping! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Yay! Someone's reading this. Please leave me a comment. Thanks!