Gardening in the High Desert

February 29, 2020

One of the first things we did when we moved into our new home a couple of years ago was plant these beautiful Coleus...


And quickly had a rude awakening when I literally woke up to the bunnies chomping down on them just a few days later. We proceeded to try planting some lavender in the same spot and that didn't work. Tried some succulents and again found out these bunnies will eat just about anything. We gave up and this spot under the window but decided on trying to plant some hibiscus in front of the house.


Surprisingly, these have done really well. They have made it through two freezing cold winters and blazing hot summers and have managed to survive and continue to bloom. We tried planting two miniature citrus trees but have had little luck with them.


But, as you can see, the Rosemary we planted is fragrant and thriving. Spring is but a few weeks away and I would like to do some gardening. I have so many ideas, and so many plants and flowers I would like to see flourish, but I am hesitant. I am not sure what will survive the scorching summer I am sure is headed our way and the ravenous bunnies that roam freely on our land. Maybe some more Hibiscus trees are in our future. Or, maybe we can build a tall fortress around our home to keep the bunnies out. Although I have a feeling these cute but pesky critters will find away to forage my garden no matter what. Anyone have any suggestions on bunny safe plants I would love to hear them!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Yay! Someone's reading this. Please leave me a comment. Thanks!