Growing Green Onions

March 07, 2012

So I was finally convinced to take a peek at Pinterest and while checking it out I came across this post about growing your own green onions. This peaked my interest because it claimed to be a way to never have to buy green onions again. I use green onions a lot in my cooking and while you people down in the lower 48 can get them pretty cheap (my mom says 4 bunches for a $1.00!) they cost us sometimes up to $3.00 a bunch. What?! Seriously when my mom was visiting last summer she refused to buy green onions at the grocery store because of their price. Anyway, I learned that if you save the bottom white parts of the onions along with the roots once you've used up the green parts, and put them in a glass with a little water they will continue to grow. (I never knew this!)


You gotta keep them in a sunny window which can be a little difficult here at times so I will let you know if I have any luck with this. The prospect of having free green onions whenever I need them sounds nice. So much so that I think I am also going to plant an indoor herb garden with Penelope this summer. Stay tuned for that!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Yay! Someone's reading this. Please leave me a comment. Thanks!